Monday, December 7, 2015

2X12 guitar cabinet

 Well this entry is about the guitar cabinet I recently built.  I purchased a used Traynor YCS100H 100 watt head on E-bay a number of months ago and was going to build a 4x12 cabinet for it.  Now......I have NO use for this much power, I don't gig with it and even if I did, 100 watts is over the top for anything I'd ever need.  however......I wanted it......Soooooooo, I brought it.  I can switch it down to 30 watts so it's still over kill but it sounds FAN FUCKING TASTIC.


Anyway, I still needed a cabinet for it and I've always wanted to build a 4x12 cabinet so went looking for plans.  I found pictures, and some Marshall plans but nothing that really explained all the details.  So I was looking on E-bay and found a 2x12 Carvin cabinet for a good price and it was shipping from B.C., Canada so I did not have to pay duty on it.  So I brought it.  Hooked it up to the amp and it was great.  handled the power no problem and all was well....except one thing.  A 100 watt head sitting on top of a 2x12 cabinet looks STUPID.  It basically form a "T".  so I decided I would build another 2x12 cabinet to beef it up and make it look cool.  Plus, now I had plans in the form of the Carvin cabinet.  I would replicate the tilt back and the specs and all would be good.  and they were!  My cabinet turned out GREAT.  I used finger joints to join the unit together (If you ever wondered about the ICRA Dovetail jig, wonder no more and BUY IT, It is fantastic) I used 5/8 Baltic Birch and Celestion G12-75 speakers.  I removed the scoop handle from the Carvin 2x12 to see the internals and got what I needed from that.  Found out what the slant back angle was and did the same to my cabinet.  The only thing I did not do to mine was add the scoop handles.  My thinking was that since It will never leave my guitar room I won't need them.  However, I may rethink that as I've already had to move them AROUND the room and it is a pain in the ass without something to grab hold of.  So I built it, painted it, and using a sheet of server rack siding, added a steel grill.  the thing looks and sounds awesome.  Very happy to have built my first 2x12 cabinet, now my 100 watt head looks right and able to command the respect it deserves.....lol  ROCK FOREVER!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment